Recruitment for various posts in SSB is carried out from time to time and the same is published in various national newspapers, Employment News and also in SSB website.
Appointment of Officers, Subordinate Officers and Enrolled Persons are carried out by the rules made in this behalf by the Central Government :
(a) by direct recruitment;
(b) by transfer on deputation from the All India Services, Defence Forces, any other Armed Forces of the Union, State Police, any other department of the Central Government or of the State Government or autonomous bodies;
(c) by promotion as may be prescribed from time to time;
(d) by transfer ;
(e) by re-employment.
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) also conduct examination for the recruitment of Constables and Sub-Inspectors. Assistant Commandants are recruited through a Competitive Examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Assistant Commandants ( Group “A” Gazetted Central Service) are subsequently promoted to the rank of Deputy Commandant, Second-in-Command, Commandant, Deputy Inspector general, Inspector General and Additional Director General and Director General over the years.
The minimum eligibility required for participating in the SSB recruitment is matriculation or class 10th or any other equivalent exam passed from any recognized boards of India. The candidates participating in the recruitment concerned will be short listed on the basis of written test / medical exam as scheduled and conducted for post mentioned.
For an appointment to the post of Constable in SSB the candidates must meet following eligibility conditions:-
- Educational : matriculation or class 10th or any other equivalent exam passed from any recognized boards of India.
- Age : Between 18 to 23 years.(Cut off date for age will be 1st August every year)
- Physical Standards
a) Height – For male : 170 cms. For Females : 157 cms.
b) Chest – For males : Unexpanded: 80 cms. Expanded : Minimum Expansion 5 Cms.
c) Weight – For both males and females: Proportionate to height and age as per medical standards
- Medical Standards:
a) Eye Sight – The Minimum distant vision should be 6/6 & 6/9 of 2 eyes without correction i.e. without wearing of glasses.
b) The candidates must not have knock knee, flat foot, varicose vein or squint in eyes and they should possess high colour vision. They must be in good mental and bodily health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of the duties.
There will be relaxation in age for SC/ST/OBC, Ex Servicemen and other categories of persons in accordance with the Government order on the subject. Relaxation will be permissible in height and chest to the candidates falling in the categories of Garhwalis, Kumaonis, Gorkhas, Dogras, Marathas and candidates belonging to the States of Sikkim, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Kashmir and Leh & Ladakh regions of J&K
The selection will be made on following basis:-
- At the very beginning of the recruitment process, candidates whose applications have been found to be in order will be sent Admit card indicating the date and venue to of recruitment center. When the candidates report at their respective centers they will be first asked to go through the height bar and thereby, candidates with lesser height will get eliminated.
- Those who qualify the height test, will be subjected to five kilometers race (for male) and 1.6 Kms. race (for female) to be completed within 24 minutes and 8.30 minutes respectively.
- The thumb impression and photo of those who qualify in the race will be taken to remove chance of impersonation.
- Testimonials (documents of education qualifications, SC/ST/OBC certificates, etc) of the candidates will be checked after the identification process and only eligible candidates will go to the next step.
- Physical Standard Test (PST) – Candidates who are found eligible on screening of testimonials will be screened first for height, chest and weight measurements by a board before sending them for PET.
- Physical Efficiency Test (PET) – The candidates who clear PST will be required to undergo PET. The PET consist of the following:-
a) 11 feet long jump (3 chances to be given).
b) 3-1/2 feet high jump (3 chances to be given).
a) 9 feet long jump (3 chances to be given).
b) 3 feet high jump (3chances to be given).
No physical efficiency test will be held for Ex-servicemen. However, Ex-servicemen will be required to pass the requisite medical examination.
Physical Efficiency Test (PET) will be only qualifying in nature and it will not carry any marks.
- Written Test
a) The candidates who qualify in the PET will be required to appear in a written test which will comprise of Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) based multiple choice objective question papers. There will be no negative marking. The question paper will be of 100 questions and total 100 marks.
b) The question paper will be set to assess the general awareness/ general knowledge, knowledge of elementary mathematics, analytical aptitude and ability to observe and distinguish patterns and to test the basic knowledge of the candidates in English/Hindi. The questions will be set both in Hindi and English.
c) The candidates will be allowed to take carbon copy of the answer sheet. Answer key to the question paper will be posted on the website and displayed on the notice board after the written examination is completed.
- Medical Examination
The candidates will be medically examined to assess their physical & medical fitness. Medical examination will be conducted after declaration of written exam results and for those candidates who qualify the written exam.
In case of medical examination, “temporary unfitness” should not be allowed, and the candidates declared unfit may be examined by “Appeal Panel” on their representations to be filed within 15 days of rejection by the medical board. The appeal will come to a decision within a month of the date of rejection. If found medically fit by Appeal panel the candidate will be recruited against wastage. The final selection of the candidates will be made in order of merit in each category (Gen/SC/ST/OBC). The cut off percentage of marks for appointment will be as under:-
General and Ex-servicemen-35%
Head Constable (Ministerial) Recruitment
For an appointment to the post of Head Constable (Ministerial) in SSB the candidates must meet following eligibility conditions:-
- Educational Qualification:
a) Intermediate (10+2) or equivalent from a recognized Board/Institute.
b) Typing speed 30 words per minute in English or 25 words per minute in Hindi.
- Age : Between 18 to 25 years.
- Physical Standards
a) Height :167.5 cms.
b) Chest :Unexpanded: 80 cms. Expanded : Minimum Expansion 5 Cms.
c) Weight : Proportionate to height and age as per medical standards
- Medical Standards:
a) Eye Sight (With or Without glasses) :
Distant Vision Better Vision Worse Eye 6/6 6/12 or or 6/9 6/9 Near Vision Better Vision Worse Eye J.I J.II
b) The candidates must not have Knock-Knee, Flat Foot, Varicose Veins or Squint in the eyes and they should possess high colour vision. They must be in good mental and bodily health and free from any Physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of the duties.
Method of Selection
The selection will be made on following basis:
- Documentation :-
Original Testimonials i.e. (documents of education qualifications, SC/ST/OBC certificates, etc) of the candidates will be checked after the identification process and only eligible candidates will go to the next step
- Physical Standard Test (PST)
Candidates who are found eligible on screening of testimonials will be screened first for height, chest and weight measurements by a board before sending them for PET.
- Physical Efficiency Test (PET)
The candidates who clear PST will be required to undergo PET. The PET consist of the following:- Male Candidates a)1 Km race to be completed in 08 Minutes b) 3-1/2 feet high jump (3 chances to be given). Ex-servicemen No P.E.T will be held for Ex-Serviceman. But they will be required to pass/qualify Written Examination as well as Typing speed test. NOTE : – Physical Efficiency Test (PET) will be only qualifying in nature and it will not carry any marks.
- Written Test
The candidates who qualify in the Physical Efficiency Test will be required to appear in Written Examination in the following subject, which will consist of objective as well as narrative types.
- Documentation :-
|PART-I- Hindi/ English language||50 Marks||2 Hours|
|PART-II- General Intelligence||50 Marks||2 Hours|
|PART-III- Numerical Aptitude||50 Marks||2 Hours|
|PART-IV- Clerical Aptitude||50 Marks||2 Hours|
i) There will be only one question paper for two hour duration consisting of above four parts which will be OBJECTIVE TYPE WITH MULTIPLE CHOICE. The question papers will be printed both in Hindi and English. The candidate will have the option to answer questions either in Hindi Or in English.
ii) The minimum qualifying marks for Written Tests are 40% for General Category/Ex-servicemen / OBC and 35% for SC/ST candidates.
- Typing Test:-
The candidates who qualify the Written Test will be allowed in the Typing test which is only qualifying test. Minimum Speed of 30 Words per minutes in English Typing or 25 Words per minutes in Hindi Typing.
Note :- The candidates will have to arrange their own Type-Writer for Typing Test.
- Interview The candidates who obtain the prescribed qualifying percentage in written examination as well as declared qualified in the typing test will be allowed/called for Interview to check personal bearing, response, aptitude, general level of intelligence etc. The total marks for interview will be 25 marks i.e. 15 marks for general knowledge and current affairs and overall assessment of personality plus 10 marks will be awarded to candidates having creditable achievements in sports, NCC, Scout and Guides and extra curricular activities. Claims of achievements should be supported by the documents. There shall be no qualifying marks in Interview.
Note : The minimum aggregate qualifying percentage of marks in written examination plus interview is 40% for General/OBC/Ex-Serviceman and 35% for SC/ST candidates.
- Medical Examination
Candidates who qualify the Written Examination, Typing Speed Test and Interview will be put through detailed Medical Examination to assess their fitness for appointment as per prescribed eligibility conditions.
- Merit list
Merit list will be drawn based upon marks secured in written Test and Interview subject to qualifying typing speed test and medical examination.
Probation – A person appointed through direct recruitment as an officer, subordinate officer, under officer or enrolled person shall be on probation for a period of two years.